02/22/19 Flamingo-Everglades. FL

DAY #125

First full day in the everglades and it started early.  The heat and humidity in the trailer were getting to me and I didn’t sleep that well, so up around 8:00 am and putzed around.

One of the things I did was to get the chaise lounge out of the back of the truck, set it up, and lounge around for a while.  I set it up in the shade and with the accompanying breeze, it was so nice, one would say, tropical.  It was so nice, I fell asleep.  When I woke up four hours later, the shade was gone and had been replaced by the sun.  Man, my face and legs/feet were burned, this was not good.

Than to add insult to injury, I decided to arch my back before getting up, you know stretching first.  While, that didn’t turn out to be such a good idea, when I arched, the chair tipped backward, bringing me to the ground, then tipping on its side, wrapping me in it.  As I comically struggled to free myself while still in a heat/humidity induced, just woke up stupor, I remembered thinking, what’s going on (that’s the stupor)? and then, hope no one is seeing this.  Not only was it embarrassing, it was definitely not the correct way to get up from a chaise lounge. 

After the bad acrobatics show, went in to put on some socks and long pants, I know, kind of like shutting the barn door after the horse has got out, but wanted to not do any more damage than already done.  My face felt OK, as did my legs. I was most concerned about the feet, they looked ruby red and were already starting to burn. 

Surprisingly, my attitude remained good.

After (gingerly) putting on shoes, socks, and pants, I headed off through the park to my destination.  Coming into the Everglades, I had gone past what looked like a fruit stand on steroids called “Robert is Here” and they advertised along with their fruits, having these great fruit milkshakes, and it was really busy so I thought that must be the ‘go to’ place for shakes. Got there and again it was busy.  It was an interesting place, and there really is a guy named Robert, I saw him working the counter. It seemed like any kind of fruit grown in the area you could find here (and even some that weren’t).  It was fun looking over the different fruits offered, some I had never seen or only heard of.  As I said, it was busy and took about 15 minutes to get my shake.  I ordered the key lime-strawberry and was looking forward to it.  I was impressed how the cups used for the shakes were a corn based biodegradable product, something more places should be using.  

 Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed.  I appreciated the no added sugar to the milkshake.  I thought the strawberry would give it the sweetness needed, I knew for sure the key lime wasn’t going to add any. Alas, the flavor was overwhelmingly key lime and a bit stringent, if only the strawberry flavor had come through.  Sometimes you hit a home run, and other times you strike out. I wouldn’t say this was a complete flop, more like a solid double.

From there, checked out the local Walmart (funny, they all seem alike) and headed back to camp.  I had a feeling the sun burn on the feet and legs were going to be a problem over the next several days, something I wasn’t looking forward to.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s