11/01/18 Grand Isle, LA

DAY #14

Luck with the weather ran out around 2:00 in the morning.  I had fallen asleep with the A/C on because it was still hot in the trailer and the temperature was only supposed to drop to the low 70s plus it was really humid out.  I woke up and realized the A/C had stopped working, My first thought was something blew out in the A/C, freaking junk, yada, yada, yada. (always look for the worst first…argh!)  Then I realized the clock on the microwave was off and something clicked in my head that said, the powers off (oh yea, sharp as a tack).  I opened the trailer door and looked at the power boxes along the other sites. One thing I had noticed was at night there is a light on the box that would come on, none of the lights were on so the power outage was not me, but the park.  OK I thought, I’m sure they’ll get to it and I can wait it out.  The batteries were charged and I still had propane so the fridge could keep running.

I laid back down and soon thereafter the wind began howling and the rain came down in a drenching downpour.   And the rocking, let me tell you, the trailer, she was a rocking.   I’m laying there with these alternating nightmare scenarios of water leaking into the trailer from the rain, and/or the trailer being blown down the road. and not having a very happy experience.  I got back up and went online (yea, it still was working) and checked what was going on weather wise.  Saw that the worst of it had gone through and just rain and wind for the next six hours, man I was relieved.  I laid back down again and thought about the situation.  I thought about the worst that could have happened (I didn’t count injury, not sure why not) and realized that no matter what I would survive and get through it and I felt OK.  Now lets see if I’ve learned anything from this like I hope I have.  I’m sure God will test me soon.

I finally dozed off around 9:00 in the morning.  Woke up around 1:00 in the afternoon and went outside to take care of business and check out the damage.


I talked with a guy who works at the park and he told me that five inches of rain had fallen and there was 50+ mph winds in the area.  The news reported that a little farther away from the park there was an old warehouse that collapsed and a travel trailer (unoccupied) overturned by the storm.  Counting my blessings, I thought it best to stay put and let things on the island get back to normal before venturing out again.

20181105_163834 (2).jpg

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s